Walking is gentle, low-impact exercise that’s great for the whole family. While it may not seem like much, walking can do wonders for your health. The best part? It’s free—no gym membership required! Even if it’s just around the block, here are seven reasons why you should walk every day:
- Walking strengthens your heart. Cardio reduces the risk of heart disease by lowering levels of bad cholesterol. A 30-minute walk is all it takes.
- Walking helps you lose weight. Weight loss is primarily driven by a healthy diet, but exercise is an important part of maintaining a healthy weight. A 30-minute walk at 2 mph can burn 75 calories.
- Walking lowers risk of diabetes. Walking regularly lowers the risk of type 2 diabetes by nearly 60 percent. It has also been shown to lower high blood pressure.
- Walking improves your mood. Studies have shown that walking daily can improve your overall mood by reducing anxiety and stress.
- Walking strengthens your body. It might seem like an easy, low-impact activity, but walking is still a healthy exercise. It strengthens your muscles and bones.
- Walking is simple. Finding the motivation to work out can be tough. Walking is simple, free, and easy. You can take the kids, go alone, or join a local walking group.
- Walking helps you explore your neighborhood. In Houston, we’re always on the road. Sometimes, we spend more time in our cars than we do at home! Walking is a great way to get out and explore your neighborhood.
Join The Torres Center for Walk With a Doc every month! We meet in the Houston Heights to walk together and commit to healthy living. It’s free! Snacks and water bottles are provided. To find the schedule, visit our Facebook page.